If you do not take dairy, are vegan, or just want to limit it, this recipe is for you! In search of a vegetarian gravy for grilled cheese fast and easy, we've created this simple and delicious sauce vegan cheddar cheese with 8 healthy ingredients.
Best of all is that he has the same look and taste like the cheddar cheese. Okay, maybe not to melt just like the cheddar cheese, but the flavor and the color are there. Once heated, it melts and becomes sticky – perfect for sandwiches, vegan grilled cheese, macaroni and vegan, and more. We'll show you how it's done.
CASHEWS AND CARROTS
- 2/3 cup cashews, raw
- 1/2 cup carrots in thin slices (peeled)
- Hot water to soak
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons yeast
- 1 ½ teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground turmeric (to give colour)
- In a bowl or a measuring cup of liquid, soak the cashews and carrots in very hot water (uncovered) for 30 minutes. Wring it out and add it to a blender high speed, along with 1 cup of water, tapioca starch, yeast, apple cider vinegar, sea salt, garlic powder, and dry mustard (turmeric is optional to obtain a more intense color). Mix over high heat until it is soft.
- Test and, if necessary, add a little more apple cider vinegar for acidity, nutritional yeast for cheese flavor, garlic powder for depth of flavor, or salt to taste.
- Move to a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 or 2 minutes until it thickens and acquires a consistency spreadable. Should have the consistency of corn meal cooked soft.
- The cheese sauce can now be used to make sandwiches, grilled cheese or added to the scallops cooked to make a quick macaroni and cheese vegan.
- Keep the sauce covered in the refrigerator up to 1 week or in the freezer up to 1 month (let thaw in the fridge before use). Once cooled, it will thicken up into a paste and spread as it thaws.
Can you help us to share?